Dimensions of Tourism
Changing tourist destinations
In 1950, two thirds of tourists visited Europe. Over the following 68 years, the relative importance of the region declined to around 50%, but it’s still the most important tourist region. Asia and the Pacific had only very small importance as tourist destinations in 1950. In 2018, however, every fourth tourist visited the regions. (1)
Predictions are that global tourism is expected to double between 2010 and 2030.
In 2019, Europe was the region with the highest tourism dollar spending with USD 570 billion, followed by Asia and the Pacific (USD 435 billion), the Americas (USD 334 billion), Middle East (USD 73 billion), and Africa (USD 38 billion). Asia had the strongest growths in both arrivals (+7%) and spending (+7%). Africa equally shared a +7% growth in arrivals, suggesting a new interest in travelling to the continent. (2)
Because of the Covid-19 travel restrictions in 2020, 62 million jobs were lost, representing a drop of 18.5%, leaving just 272 million employed across the sector globally, compared to 334 million in 2019. (3)
Tourism is responsible for 8% of all climate gases caused by us humans. 90% are caused by the arrival and departure. (4)
The number of departures per 1,000 people, which they made from their own country in 2017, was as following: 2,109 from Sweden, 1,117 from Germany, 103 from China, 269 from the USA, 45 from Brazil, 18 from India, 2.2 from Ethiopia. (5)
- Worldwide, one in ten employees works in a job that is directly related to tourism.
- Tourism contributed 10.4% to the global economic output in 2018.
- In every third “developing country”, tourism is the main source of foreign income.
- Predictions are that global tourism is expected to double between 2010 and 2030. (4)
- Tourism is one of the largest industries in the world with an annual turnover exceeding USD 1.75 trillion in 2019, thereby putting it on par with the oil and other industries. (3)
- Our World in Data: https://ourworldindata.org/tourism
- BCcampus Open Publishing: https://opentextbc.ca/introtourism2e/chapter/1-x-impacts-of-tourism/
- Tourism blog: https://www.tagalongtour.com/tourism-info/how-does-tourism-affect-the-economy.html
- BMZ: https://www.bmz.de/de/entwicklungspolitik/tourismus, 15. 3. 2022
- Our World in Data: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/number-of-departures-per-1000